Australian Resources

Reporting child sexual abuse to authorities

Child abuse is a crime. If you have been a victim of abuse, or are concerned about a child being abused, this should be reported to the authority in their state or territory. The Australian Government Institute of Family Studies factsheet includes contact details for your area:

Reporting abuse and neglect: State and territory departments responsible for protecting children.

National help lines

Lifeline (24-hour crisis support and suicide prevention)

Kids Helpline (aimed at persons aged 5-25)

1800 RESPECT (24-hour sexual assault and domestic violence support)

Suicide Call Back Service (24-hour crisis support and suicide prevention)

beyondblue (mental health support)

SANE Australia Helpline (mental health support)

Mensline (relationship support for men)

13 11 14

1800 55 1800

1800 737 732

1300 659 467

1300 22 4636

1800 18 7263

1300 789 978

Specialist national counselling services

Adults Surviving Child Abuse (counselling and support for survivors)

Bravehearts (counselling for survivors and child protection advocacy)

Care Leavers Australia Network (support and advocacy for Forgotten Australians)

1300 657 380

1800 272 831

1800 008 774

State and Territory sexual assault services

NSW Rape Crisis Centre

Victoria Sexual Assault Crisis Line

South Australia Yarrow Place

Western Australia Sexual Assault Resource Centre

Northern Territory Crisis Line

Brisbane Rape and Incest Survivors Support Centre

Canberra Rape Crisis Centre

Tasmania Laurel House

1800 424 017

1800 806 292

1800 817 421

1800 199 888

1800 019 116

1800 010 120

(02) 6247 2525

(03) 6334 2740

Like to make a comment? Your 'name' and comment will be posted here after review by a moderator

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s