George Scandalis, 66, of Hopkinton accused of sexually assaulting boy, 14
By The Associated Press on August 25, 2010 at 9:09 AM, updated August 25, 2010 at 9:13 AM Print
WORCESTER – A 66-year-old Hopkinton man has pleaded not guilty to sexually assaulting a 14-year-old Worcester boy and then trying to set up subsequent meetings for sex.
George Scandalis was allowed to remain free on $5,000 bail at his arraignment Tuesday in district court on charges of indecent assault and battery on a child aged 14 or older and enticement of a child younger than 16.
Neither Scandalis nor his lawyer commented.
Prosecutors say Scandalis asked to use the boy’s cell phone to make an emergency call on Aug. 10. When the boy agreed to sit in the suspect’s vehicle, Scandalis allegedly assaulted him.
He also allegedly contacted the boy several times with text messages suggesting they meet for sex. The boy’s family went to police.
Hopkinton Man Convicted of Sex Crime
On Monday, George Scandalis pleaded guilty to two charges stemming from a 2010 incident and must register as a sex offender.
By Sean O’Donnell December 23, 2011
On Monday, Dec. 19, Hopkinton resident George Scandalis pleaded guilty to indecent assault and battery of a person over the age of 14 and enticing a minor.
The charges stemmed from an incident that occurred in Worcester in August of 2010. According to a story in the Worcester Telegram and Gazette from that summer, Scandalis asked a young boy if he could use his cell phone. When Scandalis was using the phone, he asked the boy to sit inside the vehicle with him and the boy agreed.
“While the two were inside the vehicle, the boy told police, Mr. Scandalis used his phone and then indecently assaulted him before allowing him to leave,” according to the Telegram & Gazette.
According to Worcester County District Attorney Spokesman Tim Collins, Scandalis, who lives at 8 Schofield Rd., will serve two years of probation.
“The District Attorney’s Office asked for a six month prison sentence followed by one year of probation but the judge chose to sentence him to two years of probation,” Collins said.
The terms of Scandalis’s probation are that he must wear a GPS at all times, cannot have unsupervised contact with children under the age of 16 and must participate in sex offender counseling. Scandalis must also register as a sex offender.
Hopkinton resident guilty of indecent assault
By Norman Miller/Daily News staff MetroWest Daily News Posted Dec 24, 2011 @ 12:55 AM
A Hopkinton man accused of sexually assaulting a boy in Worcester last year was placed on probation for two years and ordered to register as a sex offender.
George Scandalis, 68, pleaded guilty Monday in Worcester District Court to indecent assault and battery on a child 14 years old or older and enticement of a child younger than 16.
Prosecutors had asked Judge David Despotopulos to send Scandalis to the Worcester House of Correction for two years, with six months to serve.
As part of his probation, Scandalis cannot have any contact with the victim, must register as a sex offender, have no unsupervised contact with children younger than 16 and undergo sex offender counseling.
Scandalis was arrested on Aug. 20, 2010, in Worcester after an investigation.
Authorities say a 14-year-old boy told police he was walking on Park Avenue that day when a silver Lexus SUV pulled up next to him, according to a report filed in court by Worcester Police Detective Mark Tivnan.
The driver, later identified as Scandalis, asked if he could use the boy’s cellphone for an emergency.
Police said the boy got into the SUV. Scandalis sent a text message to himself with the boy’s phone and then groped the boy, the report said.
Scandalis later sent several text messages to the boy asking if he wanted Scandalis to perform a sex act on him, authorities siad. The text messages stopped, police said, until Aug. 19, when the boy received a message that said “Hi.”
The boy’s family reported the incident to police.
Officers tracked the phone to Scandalis and found that he had a 2010 Lexus SUV registered to him.
On Aug. 20, Tivnan — posing as the boy — said he sent a text message to Scandalis, and arranged a meeting that day in Worcester.
When Scandalis arrived, police arrested him.
It is not known what level of sex offender Scandalis will be designated. The Massachusetts Sex Offender Registry Board determines what level an offender is after a hearing.
Scandalis has been classified as a Level 3 Sex Offender by the Sex Offender Registry Board. As such, the board has determined that this individual is at a high risk to re-offend and that the degree of dangerousness posed to the public is such that a substantial public safety interest is served by active community notification. To see the official notice from the Sex Offender Registry Board, see the attachment below.